Thursday, December 26, 2013

What do you think about tattoos on the back side of the wrist in a hospital environment, if a manager?

butterfly tattoo hand
 on Looking for unique Color tattoos Tattoos? Hands and butterfly tattoo
butterfly tattoo hand image



Verde


I have a butterfly tattoo on the back side of my wrist so when I write (with right hand) you cannot see it. I got it a long time ago and am pursuing my master in Health Administration. I am looking to advance my career into a more leadership role and hopefully a coordinator or hospital administrator later on. Can someone give me some insight to how body art is viewed in that type of environment or if it really matters or not?


Answer
If it's small and tasteful, most people aren't going to think badly of you, but at the same time, when it comes to management, it isn't exactly going to help either - many older people still have conservative views about these things.
I say keep it covered up for now - long sleeves, a watch, jewellery, whatever works for you - until you get the promotion you're seeking. Once you're in, nobody can hold the tattoo against you.
Good luck.

Seeking nursing career with a tattoo on wrist?




Mommy 2 B


I have a monarch butterfly tattoo on the inside of my wrist. I am currently going to college to become a RN and plan on getting my master's in nursing in the future. Will my tattoo hinder me in my career? I've heard some hospitals don't allow exposed tattoos, is this true? It's a very beautiful and harmless tattoo, I don't see how anyone could be offended by it. Also I am concerned with health concerns my employer may have about me having a tattoo.


Answer
As was said earlier, and has been said by most responders, tattoos are not, generally, accepted as part of a professional presentation. It is not a health issue, but some patients may perceive it as one. You must not only be concerned with the tattoo but on the effect it has on the patient and their attitude towards you as part of the staff.

As a nurse, you cannot always cover your wrist. Even with a bandage or a wide-banded wrist watch, they will have to come off for certain procedures. And continuously wearing a bandage on your wrist from one patient to another does present health issues, as does jewelry. You cannot change a bandage every time you touch a patient and move to the next like you can wash your hands. Gloves can be used, but prolonged wearing of gloves increases your risk of developing a latex sensitivity or allergy. A nurse who is sensitive to latex might as well retire, as there is a lot of latex out there, though much of the latex is being replaced.

If you already have the tattoo, you can try to cover and work with it, but it might affect your selection for some jobs based on the perception of interviewers.




Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Title Post: What do you think about tattoos on the back side of the wrist in a hospital environment, if a manager?
Rating: 100% based on 998 ratings. 5 user reviews.
Author: Yukie

Thanks For Coming To My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment